Wednesday, June 8, 2011

7 things Weaver suggests non-Christian may be thinking before they walk through our doors:

From Paul Ballew

Understanding the people our churches are trying to reach with the Gospel is far more important than we may think. Even here in the Bible belt, many are unfamiliar with biblical Christianity and have no clue they are in need of transforming grace from Jesus. We can’t assume and carry on like they are going to get our Christian culture. There may have been a time in the past when we could assume they understood our language, worship, and fellowship, but those days are gone.

Thomas Weaver is the Lead Pastor of Logos Community Church, an Acts 29 Church in McAllen, Texas. Recently, he posted on the Resurgence website an article describing non-Christians visiting our churches and what they need us to know about them. There is nothing here many of us have not heard before, but it is good to remind ourselves not to get comfortable in our “holy huddles”.

Here are the 7 things Weaver suggests non-Christian may be thinking before they walk through our doors:

1. I’m not going to understand religious language or phrases so be aware of that when we talk.

2. When you ask me how I’m doing, know that I don’t trust you. I’m probably going to lie and tell you I’m fine. It’s not that I don’t want to tell you; it’s just that I come from some pain and am not sure if I trust you yet. How about you tell me your story first? If I like you and get the vibe that you’re not trying to capture my soul or anything, I’ll tell you mine.

3. I’ve got pretty rough language and I can be bitter and angry about some things. If I sense in you a mindset of superiority, I’m out. If you are just waiting for your turn to talk instead of truly listening to me, I’m not going to be interested. Don’t expect me to be exactly like you.

4. Don’t make a big deal of introducing me to everyone you know. I understand a couple of people, but please; don’t set up a welcoming line. I’m just there to check it out; I need a bit of space.

5. I’m going to be looking for genuine interest in me. I don’t want to feel like your personal salvation project or be a notch on your “I saved one” belt. If this Jesus is who you say he is, then I’m looking forward to seeing him in you. That’s how it works, right?

6. I’m going to have questions. I need truth, not your preferences or your religion, so can you just tell me what the Bible says?

7. I need to feel welcomed. Is there a time limit or something on my visit before I’m supposed to feel unwelcomed? I mean, I’ve been to other churches and there seemed to be a push for me to make up my mind or something. How long until I’m unwelcomed?

As Christians we desperately want to see people come to Jesus and we need to remember this fact, that seeing people come to Christ and joining his mission is the church’s purpose. I have often seen guests at church overwhelmed by eager church members wanting to make them feel welcome. The result was a feeling of awkwardness on the part of the guest. I think people leave our churches trying to understand our behavior more than trying to figure out what God has to say to them. I have wondered if they leave with the feeling we want them to join our church more than feeling we want Jesus to become real in their lives.

My point is that we are not recruiting people to join our club. We are on a mission sharing and living out the Gospel of Jesus.

“When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. 1 Corinthians 9:22″

No comments: