Tuesday, March 29, 2011

From a College Brother

Pastor Darrin Miller and I attended Bible College together, I graduated before him, but when he did get his degree he went on to Seminary and I went into evangelism and building a church in Owensboro, KY. I received Bro. Darrin's latest BLOG entry via e-mail this morning and wanted to share it with some of you.

My mentor Dr. Steve Wilkes has a mission’s heart as big as the world. He was my church growth professor while attending Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary. He also became my friend and mentor. His passion for starting new churches is contagious. I think one of the reasons we got together was my passion for missions, evangelism and church planting almost matched his.

Dr Wilkes taught me several truths and I want to share with you a couple that are part of my DNA. First, go to the harvest area. Henry Blackaby in Experiencing God said it this way ‘go where you see God at work’. Jesus Said (Matt 9:37-38) “The harvest is plenteous but the laborers are few: Pray ye therefore to the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth laborers into his harvest.” My heart is to work and take others into the harvest field. My experiences include 14 international mission trips. All trips were to harvest areas except two. We need people to go to pioneer areas however God has bent my heart toward the harvest. Second, is that new churches are the most effective evangelistic tools on planet earth.

God has blessed me with the privilege to be involved in many church plants nationally and globally. Obviously, I have a strong passion for church planting. New churches grow faster than existing churches. New churches are more effective in reaching the unchurched. New churches are not hindered by traditions and mindsets that are not biblical or effective. New churches can be cultural relevant to the people they are trying to reach.

I believe every city and town should have a new, relevant, modern and life-giving community of faith that focuses on the unchurched. Please understand that new churches are better than existing ones. New churches are not for everyone and thank God for the established churches, however in reality new churches can reach people the established churches cannot. That is the reason I have a passion for new churches. People need Jesus! Without Christ people have no hope. I want to make it hard for people to go to hell and new churches are the most effective tool I know.

Pastor Darrin Miller, Riverwoods Church Benton, KY

No comments: