Friday, May 27, 2011

Are We Enabling The Poor To Stay That Way?

For the last 24 to 36 hours, I have been burdened about feeding the homeless, or whoever they are that eat free everyday at one of two places here. I feel that we who are doing the feeding and work, are enabling these (the same people everyday over & over & over) to stay where they are. I've noticed the workers wait on them hand and foot. This may make the servers feel humble and Christ like, but I think the ones receiving the free food, should do something as well.



Let them clean up, sweep, mop, wash dishes, bring a can good from time to time. Let them serve the food. Or even help prepare it. God's Word says that He feeds the birds of the air, (like when grain falls from a passing truck as they make a turn), but those birds still have to come down off of that telephone wire, to pick it up.




I know this is crazy, but I'm really burdened about this. I see the same older christian people, working their finger's to the bones to feed these, whom I feel are taking advantage of it.




I am going to pass out a questionaire next week asking those who eat free, if they work? Will they work? Can you pass a drug test? And to show up at a specific time to work for a fair wage, and see how many do. Though I don't have a job for them, I will give them a free meal coupon from a local restaurant to those who do. I just have to see if they are causing these good Christian servers to become co-dependent.



My Bible says the poor will always be with you, and when you help a "truly" poor person (many of these get a check every month from the government), then you are doing it to Christ as well, but It also says that if a man doesn't work, he doesn't eat.



I do know that some of these we are feeding do work when they can find a job and get to it, and I realize some have mental problems (from mild to way out there), yet I see some wearing nice jewelry, riding expensive bicycles, and yesterday one man was driving a Cadillac Escalade. Perhaps this is how they can afford such nice stuff, because "Christians" are making it to easy for them.



That small black church works their butts off for these people, two men in their 60's, and two women in their 80's, serving 8 meals a month, and I have seen only one "eater" ever donate some food to them, and only one that helped clean up, in the 2 months I have been helping and observing.



I'm just burdened that we in the church are following suite with the government, and keeping these where they are, through hand outs. That isn't what Jeus wants us to do. Am I crazy?



Cochise A.K.A "A Bible Thumper"

P.S. There is a difference between the "working" poor, as many of us are in this boat that may need a little help from time to time, and the "not wanting to work" poor. Big Love!!!

No comments: